torstai 30. kesäkuuta 2011

Walkamin part I

Past few weeks have gone by so fast, it was just a few days ago when I arrived to Walkamin.. On first week I was in two different banana farms and also one day helping in zucchini farm but eventually I got a truck driver position from Dole Australia. I'm driving banana tops from two farms to packing shed in Mareeba. At the moment it's still a bit slow at farms so there's not enough driving for two drivers so I'm usually helping in the shed at the end of week. Farm where I'm living isn't any actual working farm nor a hostel but something in between.. Some of us help around our farm occasionally but mainly we're getting lifts to and from work. We've got 4 different houses in here and I was lucky to be living in the smallest one with two other guys, Jeremy & Paul (kiwi & scotsman).


On my first weekend others went to Atherton for a night but I wasn't really that fuzzed, I was just happy to be away from city and decided to stay in the farm and enjoy my privacy. On the next Monday I was called on a short notice to help in zucchini farm cause one of the girls was away in Cairns. Pretty boring day but nonetheless, interesting to see different kind of farms. Next day was my first at Dole. Job itself is easy as anything, take empty top to farm and swap it to full one, drop that to shed and pick up empty one.. Distances to farms are about 25km each way so not much to drive. Anyway, I was more than happy to be driving again, not any 'typical' farm work. By the end of week I was helping in the shed making cardboard boxes for bananas since there wasn't enough driving for two guys and since Ken is our no.1 driver so I'm helping in the shed. Yet again, easy as anything.. Next weekend we had a party at our house and what a mess that was the next morning.. ..and hangover didn't help at all..


Next week was full working week again and I've been helping in the shed as well. All in all, I've really enjoyed being here in rural area, away from all the hassle of cities. The view from our veranda is just so beautiful, especially during sunset, been just too lazy to wake up for sunrise during weekends.. Obviously, being back in the seat drives me forward and keeps me happy. Dunno yet will I head out this weekend to Mareeba, guys have said it's a fairly nice place. Maybe I'll go out with them, maybe I'll enjoy again my own privacy.. Can't tell at all how often will I keep updating this blog in the next few months while I'm working but sooner or later, new travels await for me.. ..where.. ..haven't really decided yet, only time will tell..

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti