maanantai 30. huhtikuuta 2012

Road Trip : Auckland to Tongariro NP

So, it was finally time start another adventure, this time from Auckland to Christchurch and I had reserved 2wks for me to do it. Yet again, I decided to do a trip by myself and a choice of camper was fairly simple..


Initially, I was supposed to drive on my 1st day to Hobbiton to take a look at the LOTR -movie set and then head down to Waikato Caves to meet up bunch of people from my hostel. On the previous night in Auckland I ended up going to a rugby match and the rest was history.. I felt so bloody sick so I decided to skip Hobbiton, I would have not been able to do anything in there. Like we had planned, I'd give a ring to one of the fellas 3ish when they should be ready from the caves and we were supposed to meet up at some camping site close-by. Turned out that they had decided to drive to Taupo for camping so I turned my camper towards there as well. We put the tents and my camper again on a circle and spent the nite just drinkin and talkin bullshit. It was pretty damn cold nite for the guys who slept in the tents but me and one of the girls were fine sleepin in my camper.


On the next mornin we headed first to take a look at the Huka Falls before cruisin to town where two of the blokes took a dip in Lake Taupo. After that we headed for hot springs nearby. I decided to just take few photos around when rest of the group went for warm bath. I did venture to one tiny waterfall and dipped my feet in the pool but it was so bloody hot you could only keep your feet there just for about 30secs. After all this, rest of the group had to start their return journey back to Auckland and now I was gonna be by myself again.



After this I headed once more to town just take a wee stroll and few more photos. I drove for the same camping spot as previous night and this time found a gorgeous spot for my camper right next to river flowing below me, what a view from inside my car. On the morning I was a bit reluctant leavin the spot but I had to keep moving, at least a bit. For my first stop I decided to drive a bit north of town to take a look of a place called Craters of the Moon. Brochure gave a lot different picture of the place than it actually was but nevertheless, it was nice wee walk around this thermal area.




After all this I took a one last glance of Lake Taupo and started headin down south, I had decided to drive to Tongariro National Park, close to the starting point of Tongariro Alpine Crossing, about 20km hike around volcanic area and possibly taking a hike to the top of Mt Tongariro. It was fairly strange but also thrilling to see snow on the top of Mt Ruapehu after over a year, previous time had been March last year when I left Finland. I bet there's quite a bit more for me to see when I get to South Island..



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti