perjantai 13. toukokuuta 2011

Road Trip : King's Canyon to Daly Waters

Since we stayed in King’s Canyon a bit longer than we had planned we couldn’t make it to the initial camping ground that we planned we stopped at Finke, about 130km south of Alice Springs. Only Lou made his tent and even he couldn’t get his pegs on the ground. Another problem that we had, there we’re mice all around us and they we’re even crawling into the cabin at one point. One of them even got himself inside a rubbish bin in the front but eventually we got few holes covered where they could come in and at least to my knowledge there wasn’t any inside camper during the night. But Lou’s tent was a different story, apparently he had them crawling everywhere, under and on top of his tent.. On the morning we started early cause we wanted to gain some distance that we weren’t able to do yday so we had our brekkie in Alice. We also did a bit of shopping there and had a small lunch but the whole place was boring as hell and I took only few photos. The city was full of aboriginals just loitering around, until this far we hadn’t really seen them that much.


Once we finally got back on the road we headed for our caravan park in Barrow Creek. That was a really bizarre small place, hotel/petrol station/pub/camping ground in-the-middle-of-nowhere but we really liked this place. All the walls inside we’re covered by different countries notes and people had left all kinds of stuff after them. The owner showed me few greetings from other Finns so obviously I had to leave my mark as well - I choose my old ice hockey shirt.. So, if you ever stop at Barrow Creek and see that black TPS-jersey, that’s mine.. That was also our first pub-night in our trip, and what a place, it made it even more memorable. The following night was the coldest so far but all of us survived, us guys in our tents and Lola in her thin sleeping bag. Heidi has a proper winter sleeping bag so she slept like a baby.


The next day was gonna be tough one again cause we wanted to make it to Daly Waters, just over 600km away. We stopped at various memorial places and other interesting places. We had lunch at a small caravan park on the way but otherwise the day was all about driving but I loved it, I’ve really enjoyed ‘The Track’, a lot more than I ever imagined. I’m really hoping that I could find a job driving road trains from Darwin to Adelaide or anything along ‘The Track’. Before Daly Waters we also stopped at Devil's Marbles, a cluster of rocks rounded by harsh outback weather. Girls we're even lucky enough to spot a dingo in the wild.


Finally we arrived to Daly Waters Pub. I knew about that place from Charley Boorman’s By Any Means -documentary and this was also one of the places I really wanted to stay overnight. And what a good decision that was again, we decided to go for the famous barra&beef dinner while watchin old Chilli’s show, what a good comedian he turned out to be. Since there was a chance that this is gonna be our last pub-night with Lola I decided to dress-up a bit and put my kilt on. And you can imagine that of course Chilli noticed that and made few good jokes about it. To me it was fun that people thought that I’m Scottish but I didn’t really mind. Guess I do have a bit of Scotland in my heart, and why not, since I lived there for 1,5years. To be honest, every now and then I do miss Scotland but yet again, I’m in a beautiful country now as well. After Chilli’s show girls headed back for camper and me&Lou went for game of pool. Reckon that was my 4th or 5th pool game ever and maybe I had a bit of beginners luck but I still beat him. Hah.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti